4.28.2007

Mark Ronson's Version: Not As Shitty As It Sounds

Mark Ronson's Myspace page

So, if you're at all like me, you never thought a Coldplay cover could ever be described as "hot like fire." Yet that is exactly what I found myself exclaiming this morning as I streamed the Dap Kings' version of "God Put A Smile On Your Face," from Mark Ronson's Version, the producer's album of pop covers done in the faux-Motown style he wrapped Amy Winehouse's last album in. So needless to say, it's one of the coolest, funkiest, most fun albums I've heard in a while. We get ODB on a cover of Britney's "Toxic," and in the cover of the Smiths' "Stop Me" there's a delicious reference to "You Keep Me Hangin' On" from the Supremes. And I'm just working off of the Myspace stream. It does look like the whole album is on there. This dude is gonna ride the Dap Kings to alternative/hip hop-ish producer of the year. I can't wait.