2.19.2007

Johnny Marr's definitely still got it.


I don't know if I hear it because I'm listening for it or if Marr's playing is really that distinctive (I like to think it's the latter), but I just got the leak on We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank, the new Modest Mouse album on which the singular Smiths guitarist has joined the band (apparently as a full member, not just hired gun style as on Talking Heads' Naked. Seems like he's invincible even in his old age. Fuck a Smiths reunion; Morrissey's solo stuff is good enough (though his threats to make a Gilbert & Sullivan cover album scare me a little) and more importantly, Johnny Marr is still real and relevant. I've admittedly never been a huge Modest Mouse fan (Ugly Casanova's pretty great though), so who the fuck am I to say, but I'm going to go ahead and call this their best record yet. I mean, how do you add someone like Marr to the roster and not end up dwarfing the rest of your catalog? Sorry guys.

2007 is looking really really good for new albums. Of Montreal, the Fratellis, The Good The Bad and The Queen, now this Modest Mouse record, and a really promising Bright Eyes EP in preparation for his upcoming Cassadaga LP have me really excited. And it's not even March yet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.